Tanzania Safari Packing List
Travelling to Tanzania? Here is Kilitop and Safaris’s advise on what to pack for your vacation & clothes to wear while in the African bush.
If you are considering on taking a safari holiday in Africa, the best way to pack for a safari in the bush is to prepare a packing list and to have two soft duffel type bags for the safari: One with the majority of your belongings that will be for your use in camp or at the lodges; and a smaller one that will travel with you in the safari vehicle to contain your photo equipment, sunscreen, hat, jacket and other personal items.
The list below encompasses most of all the cloth wear you need to pack for your safari in Tanzania. Depending on your individual safari itinerary you may want to shorten or otherwise alter the list.
- Sunglasses that are of good quality – preferably polarized.
- Sun hat – To ensure complete protection against reflected UV that can bounce up under the brim of your hat.
- Golf-shirts, T-shirts and long-sleeved cotton shirts
- Long trousers/slacks
- Underwear (sports bra recommended on game drives as the roads can be bumpy and uneven) and socks
- Good walking shoes (running/tennis shoes are fine)
- Good Sandals
- Swimming costume
- Warm Anorak or Parka, scarf & gloves (it can get cold at night and early morning)
- Light rain gear for the rainy months
- If you wear contact lenses, it is advisable that you bring along a pair of glasses in case your eyes get irradiated by the dust
- A pair of binoculars is highly recommended
- Relevant bird book if you are a keen birder
- Personal toiletries
- Malaria prevention tablets
- Moisturizing cream, lip balm & suntan lotion
- Insect repellent e.g. Tabard, Rid, Jungle Juice, etc
- Basic medical kit (aspirins, plasters, Imodium, antiseptic cream and Anti-histamine cream etc)
- Tissues/”Wet Wipes”
- Visas, tickets, passports, money and important documents
- Waterproof/dustproof bags/cover for your cameras.
- A good flashlight/torch and spare batteries.
- Secure you luggage with a luggage lock/padlock during international and regional flights What cloth to wear and baggage you need to pack for safari in Tanzania
- Some colours , particularly bright colors and white are NOT ideal whilst on safari. We advise that you wear neutral colored clothes – brown, tan, khaki, green etc. You need clothes that blend with the environment on your safari. Remember that you are limited to 20 kilos (44 pounds) baggage on the aircraft.
- We recommend that you pack your ba
ggage in soft duffel bags so that it can fit into the small luggage compartments of the aircraft and safari vehicles to be used within Tanzania for safari.